Friday, June 7, 2013

Settling in...

So here's what's up....

At this very moment: Sitting in a fairly classy internet cafe next to the plaza. We're upstairs and it's pretty full of guys and some ladies, most of them watching the soccer game on the TV. It smells like cigarettes because most people are smoking. I'm listening to Kari Jobe and feeling super content in the truth of her words to our Father. 

Tuesday night we met up with Bekah after waiting in the airport all day and finally flew from Miami to Santa Cruz overnight. I didn't sleep much and felt a little sick, but it really was not too bad. It took some time to get our visas and go through customs, but it worked out just fine. We actually got to go out in Santa Cruz since our flight didn't leave until 2pm. We took a taxi and found a place to eat and just hung out in the plaza and people watched and soaked up the sun. It was such a blessing to be with Bekah, who has been in this type of culture before and is fluent in Spanish. She's a sweetheart and will be in a different part of Cochabamba working in a clinic with a nurse speaking all Spanish. Please pray for her as well!  Here we are in the taxi on the way to Santa Cruz from the airport... 
Finally we got on our last flight, which was only about 40 minutes. The view flying into Cochabamba was absolutely gorgeous. I finally had a window seat! But didn't have my camera on me. Hopefully I can get some from Bekah later. One of the ladies from the ministry met us at the airport, who we've been communicating with. It was such a relief to finally be there and have someone waiting for us! The greeting is a kiss on the cheek then usually followed by a hug. It's so sweet! We took a taxi and arrived at our host home. 
No worries. That's not actually our house.. just the entry to it! Back through there is where our little home actually is. We live with a missionary gal, Judith, who is probably in her 50's and her sweet little mother, Nazmi, who does all the cooking for us. She is a super adorable little grandma/great-grandmother. Nazmi doesn't speak English, but Judith speaks some. That's been difficult. We moved into our room, showered, and then we literally slept for 14 hours. No lie. It was fantastic. I sleep on the left. 
We have a courtyard right in front of the house. The house is kind of in the shape of a U. These little buggers have woken me up both mornings at about 6:30am. Ellos no son nuestros amigos. (They are not our friends)
There I am looking pretty great after 14 hours of sleep! Breakfast was bread and this caramel spread "dulce de leche." Mmmm. It's like Nutella, but caramel and even better. 
Yesterday one of the other interns from Iteams showed us around town and we got to go up to The Center where we'll be working with the kids. It wasn't open today or yesterday. I think we start on Monday or Tuesday. Not sure on that one. The Center is at an elevation, so as we were walking up there I was super short of breath. At first I thought it was because I'm really out of shape (which I kind of am, so it made sense.) I later found out that that's what the elevation does to you. I felt it more as we were walking around that day. The elevation is 8,000 feet above sea level! I'm feeling a lot better today. Here's the view over Cochabamba from The Center. It was beautiful! Breathtaking, even. Literally, since the elevation was getting to me :) Do you see el Christo? The little white statue on the hill overlooking the city :)
The intern, Scott, showed us around and we used public transportation, which is crazy, but pretty fun. We met up with another intern, Shelby, in the plaza. We got ice cream and sat on a bench and relaxed and people-watched. Though I'm sure people were watching us way more than we were watching others because we are white people (gringos). Then these two little Quechua girls came up and played with us some. Just kidding, they more like harassed us a little bit. They look so sweet here! There were actually, and cute! They were just forceful and poking us and crawling all over. They didn't speak much Spanish. They actually sat still for this one!

Then this happened!

She came at me with a bag of Coca-Cola! It was slightly scary. Anyway, we later went to a park on the north side of Cochabamba. It got pretty chilly once the sun went down. Good thing I'm used to the cold weather from IA and MN. It was very enjoyable to explore the city and not be confused while speaking in English. I love speaking Spanish! It's been hard though. Especially since our hosts don't speak much English and in public places it can be hard communicating. I'm so thankful I have a background in Spanish. Between Betsy and I we have been able to figure out most things. We get to take language lessons! I'm so excited for that.
I figure I can always listen, right? Ahh, praise the Lord.

Prayer requests...
- PRAISE that we made it here safely
- PRAISE that they've given us time to settle in and get used to life here
- I've been having trouble finding a place where I can get dollars out of my account to make a couple required payments. Pray that I'll be able to get that all worked out!
- the language barrier... especially with our hosts, Nazmi y Judith
- that we'll be able to get acquainted with the city quickly. I feel so dumb in most I do and say. I just want to dive in and know everything. Pray I'll be okay with failing and patience for learning more each day
- little silly things are going wrong that have been getting me down, like the money stuff and I blew a fuse in my converter and my computer charger doesn't fit it. Pray I won't worry about silly things and I may see God's GREATER glory in the small things and challenges. 

Thanks again for all your support back home. It has been such a comfort knowing loved ones are praying for me and reading notes in my SOS encouragement binder that my roommate, Jill, put together. You guys know who you are. THANK YOU. And thanks all for praying for us. How great is our God, right!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment